Saturday, January 7, 2023

The Review: Paper Girls


Paper Girls 8/10


There was this show called Paper Girls that Miss Jackie told me about. When I read the premise I did not think that I would be even kind of interested in this but after the first episode I knew I was going to plow through this show. It came out in July of last year on Amazon but this show got absolutely no advertisement. I have seen a lot of reviews compare it to Stranger Things even though this show came out and comic book form before stranger things did but nobody likes to do any kind of research. Plus the guys who created Stranger Things have already been accused of stealing the entire shows idea. I am rambling so let me get to the main part of this review.



This is about four young girls who have a paper route. We start off with Erin who is a Chinese American girl and this is her first day delivering newspapers the day after Halloween. She meets up with another girl named Tiff who's this young black girl whoiss very smart and very annoying. I'm not even sure why I had to point that out because all of these girls are annoying and different ways. The next is Mac who's this young white girl who is a super tomboy and pretty much tries to start shit with everybody she crosses paths with. And finally there is KJ who's a young Jewish American girl. So while they're out surviving people trying to attack them and all kind of random nonsense one of the girls has her walkie-talkie stolen and they chase down the man who took it thinking it was the guys from earlier and next thing you know the sky starts rumbling and changing colors and they end up being transported from 1988 to 2019. Oh by the way before they get transported Mac freaking out thinking it's the Soviets attacking ends up accidentally shooting Erin in the stomach.



When she comes to there are these two men trying to protect them from these weird suited soldiers and Erin has these mechanical bugs that are healing her gunshot wound. They are found by someone and KJ ends up bashing him in the head with her hockey stick and killing the guy. They head to Erin's house and they end up finding an adult version of her and the young Erin can't believe that she's not married, successful, and that she's still living at home. There's also someone working for the underground who is trying to stop the bad people from altering the future to make sure that they are the ones that are flourishing. By the end of the show you're not quite sure that the good guys are the actual good guys and that the bad guys are actually bad. This show had a lot to it and made me wonder what it would be like as a 12-year-old to meet my adult version and what kind of questions I would ask. Tiff finds out that she is successful, Mac finds out that she dies at 16 from a tumor, and KJ discovers that she's gay.



There was a lot to this show and it was only eight episodes and then L. and I discovered after we were finished watching that the show had been canceled. I really wish it had not and I also wish I knew this show existed sooner and that it had better advertisement because I would have liked to see at least three seasons of this. Hopefully it gets picked up by another network or Amazon gets their head out of their ass and shoot some more episodes because when you can get me into a show starring young people and actually enjoy it that is a pretty good sign that it's worth watching. I do have to point out some bad things because these kids do not get yelled at enough for the way that they talk to adults and also the special effects and the finale were horrible. I'm talking 1980s Land of the Lost style dinosaur showing up and the finale and yanking me right out the episode for a minute. Check this out and scream online for Amazon to please bring this show back. An old Black man wants to know how it ends.

Camryn Jones as Tiff Quilkin

Riley Lai Nelet as Erin Tieng

Sofia Rosinsky as Mac Coyle

Fina Strazza as KJ Brandman

Adina Porter as Prioress

Ali Wong as adult Erin Tieng

Nate Corddry as Larry

Sekai Abenì as adult Tiffany Quilkin

Click here for previous The Review.

No comments: