Saturday, January 4, 2014

Theater Whore: Nebraska


Nebraska 6/10

The other night Cam called and asked me if I wanted to check out a movie I'd never heard of which seems to be the case the past few months. It is a movie called Nebraska and is about a son and family dealing with a father that is suffering from what for all intents and purposes Alzheimer's. I had no idea that this was in black and white and actually didn't really mind. I'm an adult. I watch movies that aren't in color, have subtitles, and don't always have explosions


David played by comedian Will Forte goes to deal with his father Woody Grant played by Bruce Dern who can't seem to keep his ass at home and keeps wandering around town. Why? Because he wants to go to Lincoln, Nebraska because he thinks he won a million dollars from a sweepstakes. No matter what anyone tells him he thinks he now has this money to get a new truck (he doesn’t drive anymore) and a compression machine (he hasn't had one since 1974). His mother Kate played by June Squibb is pissed that David is wasting his time with his dad and not helping her out.


David and his dad head to Nebraska where exciting things like his father, who everyone knows is an alcoholic, gets drunk and smashes his head, loses his teeth, and tries to run away again. They eventually get to his dad's family's place and get together with them in the town that he grew up. His mom and his brother Ross played by Bob Odenkirk show up and try to explain to everyone that the money isn't real. This doesn't stop the family from asking for money, demanding money, and Stacy Keach as Ed Pegram threatening David if Woody doesn't give him some of the money.


I enjoyed this movie. Cam didn't as much as I thought she did. She says that the movie could've been solved with a simple explanation to people but I think the movie would've been five minutes long if they did. The interaction between the family was funny to me and I laughed far more than I thought I would considering the subject matter. I was satisfied with how it ended and gave it the score I did because I would watch this again if it was on.

Click here for previous Theater Whore.  

No comments: