Wednesday, July 15, 2015

The Review: True Detective Season 2 (Ep. 1-3)


I finally got around to catching up on the second season of True Detective from HBO. This has nothing to do with the first season which was one of the best pure seasons of a series I've ever watched. With an eight episode format you do not have the luxury of dicking around. Sadly that is exactly what this current season is doing. I have watched three of the four episodes aired and do not plan on continuing any further.

This and the previous season have no connection other than name which I am happy about since so far I have had to force myself to watch these three. This one takes place in California and follows four different people. There is Taylor Kitsch aka The Box Office Bomb Magnet as a war veteran/super closeted homosexual named Paul Woodrugh. His character is boring as all hell and I don't care what he does or what happens to him. Whenever he was on screen I was just waiting for it to end. 


Then there is Ventura County Sheriff's Office Antigone Bezzerides played by Rachel McAdams. Another dull character whose story has the potential to be interesting but they are trying too hard to play up her badass-ness that it comes across as fake. Yes, I am aware that this is not real but when I watch TV or a movie the best part is getting caught up in it. Otherwise you are wasting my time. She's all like “Yeah, I know I'm a girl but I like taking it in the ass and don't want a relationship to slow me down. I'm so tough!”

Then we have Raymond Velcoro played by Colin Farrell as a police detective. He has a drinking problem, drug habit, and a kid that is so not his after his wife was raped years ago. Another one that has the potential to be interesting but is flat. Lastly there is Francis Semyon played by Vince Vaughn. He is a criminal trying to get more money working with city officials to get a railway going. Oh, and there is his wife Jordan played by Kelly Reilly who I am quickly learning I'm not a fan of and was the only bad thing in the movie Flight. Their whole city official shit is boring to me. I don't like those kind of stories.


All of these people are connected through the murder of a guy that was a super freak. Each episode crams as much as they can about each of these people and by the time the credits start rolling at the end I kept asking myself “What did I even learn about these people?” Nothing really except that they are all fucked up. That's it. All of their performances felt so flat to me. It was like I was watching the rehearsal of the show instead of what was meant to air. This show is like the new kid in school that has a cool older brother and is skating by on their reputation but when you get to know it discover that it has no personality or heart. You can give this a try if you want but I can't recommend it. 

Click here for previous The Review.

No comments: