Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Theater Whore: Ant-Man


Ant-Man 6/10

I finally got around to seeing Ant-Man starring Paul Rudd. This is the last of the Phase Two Marvel films and that means something that I am vaguely aware of. There will be some spoilers. This movie has a pretty basic premise of a systems engineer with a criminal named Scott Lang that is trying to get his life back together after doing three years in prison for playing Robin Hood. He goes to visit his daughter after getting out and is reminded by his wife and her new boyfriend that he is a failure at being a father and provider. By the way, his daughter is one of the best parts of the movie.


After he is fired from Baskin Robbins because of his criminal history he is told by his friends about a safe that has some expensive stuff in it. It turns out to be nothing but a suit. Hank Pym played by Michael Douglas is watching all of this and ends up activating the suit. He gets Lang to come to his place where he begins training to be Ant-Man and stopping this asshole from weaponizing the technology. Surprisingly that isn't a word.


This was a fun introduction to the character into the Marvel film universe but there was just something about it that felt off to me that I couldn't place. Maybe the pacing. It felt like too much was put into one movie. I would have liked him finding the suit towards the end of the movie or being trained more. Yeah, I know that sounds weird but it felt like I didn't get enough of a sense of Lang to really root for him. 


I liked the family aspect and the action a lot but the villain was weak the same way Iron Man villains have been. There were a couple of parts that made me laugh out loud but they were in the last half hour. I wouldn't say you need to rush out and see this.

Click here for previous Theater Whore.

No comments: