Thursday, April 4, 2019

The Review: Santa Clarita Diet Season 3



Santa Clarita Diet Season 3 (3/10)

This will have spoilers. When I first started watching this show I said during the first season in a review “The reason I didn't rate this any higher is because while her zombie mystery illness is not solved I can not see this going past two seasons without it being resolved or more people finding out and having to be killed.” Then during the second season I said “I know in the past that I said I hoped this wouldn't go too many seasons but I think a solid four seasons with ten episodes each (please no more than that) and I'll be good. I just don't want this to wear out its welcome.” Now I'm starting to think it has worn out its welcome. I finished watching this latest season of Santa Clarita Diet and was bummed out that they have piled on more stories and lore but have made more questions than can possibly be answered in the next season or even two. I had hoped that this would be the last season and it could wrap up in some nice fashion but the way it ended actually pissed me off.


The neighbor lady's cop girlfriend Anne is worshiping Sheila and thinks she is a gift from god. The zombie head in the basement accidentally made another zombie. That zombie made another. Sheila made an old lady into a zombie. This ancient group is hunting the family. Joel tries to join the Knights of Serbia so he can pretend to be a zombie hunter thus saving his family. The kids are in trouble for blowing up a fracking place. The crazy chick that became a zombie even before Sheila did returns. Sheila wants Joel to become a zombie and gets pissed when he doesn't want to be one. The daughter Abby may not like her friend the way he likes her, makes a new friend, and wants to be a knight as well. It. Is. Too. Much. And what did I learn from this season? That it should not continue, really. I liked the first season. Liked the second even better. But this one felt like a bunch of odd filler episodes until the real story got going. It is giving me serious Dexter vibes, like, you can not have this many missing and dead bodies in such a short amount of time and not draw national attention. And the last scene of the last episode made me think “Yeah. No need to watch this anymore.” And that sucks. The cast was good in their parts The music, tone, and everything else felt like previous seasons. It just felt like a waste of time.

Drew Barrymore as Sheila Hammond
Timothy Olyphant as Joel Hammond
Liv Hewson as Abby Hammond
Skyler Gisondo as Eric Bemis

Click here for previous The Review.

No comments: