Friday, August 31, 2012

Won't Be Fooled Again: Revolution

Not so fast, television! You're not gonna trick my goofy ass again with the hopes of a new series only to let me down. There's a new show coming out called Revolution on NBC that looks like it may be cool but I'm just not willing to take the time to give these shows a chance anymore. I can usually just go based on the posters if it is gonna suck or if its gonna be a confused jumbled mess after a few episodes.


Revolution takes place in a post-apocalyptic future. Fifteen years earlier, an unknown phenomenon permanently disabled all advanced technology on the planet, ranging from computers and electronics to car engines, jet engines, and batteries. People were forced to adapt to a world without technology, and due to the collapse of public order, many areas are ruled by warlords and militias. The series focuses on the Matheson family, who possess an item that is the key to not only finding out what happened fifteen years ago, but also a possible way to reverse its effects. However, they must elude various enemy groups who want to possess that power for themselves.

Sons of bitches had me until I read that they posses “an item that is the key to finding out...” line. I am so tired of that vague bullshit. I know what that really means. “Holy crap we only wrote three episodes of this because we were hoping for it to be a film and now we have to stretch it out for twelve episodes!” And that sucks because I really do want to watch more TV on my actual TV, not just online.

The thing is, this isn't the first or last show to do this. We deal with shows that don't know when to end, like Dexter. Or shows that you get into and they end up getting canceled way too fast like Profit on FOX years ago. Here are some shows I can think of offhand within the last few years that I got into only to get my hand shat into.


Heroes was the first series I liked so much I bought the first season of it. You couldn't get away from this show. The billboards were all over the city. Commercials constantly. By the time it aired I could barely contain myself. Random people with superpowers fighting a villain and the government? Sign me up! “Save the cheerleader save the world...”


Well, if you insist...

The season ended and everything was fine. Then the next season stank. Then the next was one of the worst things ever put on TV. It got to the point where the network was like “You know what? Go away.” They wouldn't even let them finish the season. They just yanked that bullshit right off the air and I couldn't blame them. It was obvious that the show has only so much but they attempted to see how much they could milk from it. I ended up selling that first season I bought by the way.

Should've been called "Fast Forward."

Flash Forward had one of the best first episodes. One day the entire globe fell asleep for fifteen seconds or so and had visions of their lives half a year from then. I watched it with my cousin on the phone and could not stop talking about how cool it was. Yeah, they never explained what the kangaroo was about but whatever. It was cool...until three episodes in where I realized they didn't know where the show was headed. They even had extra time to get their shit together because of the Olympics but failed so damned hard. They even had the nerve to set up a second season.


The Event...I cant even begin to tell you what this show was about and I doubt the creators could either. They knew that Lost was gonna be done or had just wrapped up and said “We need more confusing shows!” and whipped this shit together. Apparently there was something about aliens that landed a while back but if you asked me what it was about I'd say “Some dude swam, Blair Underwood was president, and a plane vanished into thin air.”



Terra Nova managed to fuck up time travel and dinosaurs. That seems like something you'd have to try your hardest to do! I knew this show wouldn't stick around for long. After the first season FOX decided to drop it like a hot turd. Cant blame them at all. Time travel is a bitch to write. Combine that with dinosaurs and you cant win.

No comments: