Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Way Back: Driver


"If I drive for you, you give me a time and a place. I give you a five-minute window, anything happens in that five minutes and I'm yours no matter what. I don't sit in while you're running it down; I don't carry a gun... I drive." That is a quote from the 2011 film Drive starring Ryan Gosling and it could also be the tag-line for this 1978 film Driver starring Ryan Oneal. When Koko told me about this movie she said that Drive was a remake of Driver and I said it wasn't because the book for Drive was written fairly recently.

Turns out that Drive just borrowed heavily from Driver.


Each film features a guy that drives getaway cars, say they don't carry guns, don't have names, and they will leave you if you are late during the job. Other than that...they are different. This movie has far more action for one as well as cast that the driver interacts with. A cop called Detective is played by Bruce Dern is obsessed with catching him in the act. This was a cool movie and I think only the second with Oneal I've ever seen.

Click here for previous Way Back.

No comments: