Saturday, October 17, 2015

Theater Whore: The Martian


The Martian 9/10

This will have some spoilers. “I'm gonna science the shit out of this planet.” And he does! This is not Gravity. Its is not close to that film for a lot of reasons and I was happy for it. The Martian stars Matt Damon as a botanist stranded on Mars after a storm occurs and his crew is forced to leave him behind thinking he is dead. He's not and that sucks because he is stuck on Mars with enough food for a whole crew but not enough to, like, live forever.

The cast of this also includes Jessica Chastain, Kristen Wiig, Jeff Daniels, Michael Peña, Kate Mara, Donald Glover, Sean Bean, Sebastian Stan, Aksel Hennie, and Chiwetel Ejiofor. They are all really good and even some folks I didn't mention that have smaller parts. A lot of this movie is spent wanting Mark Watney played by Damon to survive. I laughed, I cheered, I screamed “Fuck!” when he did after something went wrong. Watney would spend parts of his days making video logs and complaining about the only music being available being disco which made the movie funnier.


This movie was intense at times but for the most part I couldn't wait to see what happened next or if he was even going to survive somehow. This was way different than the trailers made it seem. You could take a kid to see this and it wouldn't freak them out the way some of the scenes in Tomorrowland would. If you get the chance you really should check this movie out. It is one of my favorite films this year.

Click here for previous Theater Whore

No comments: