Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Theater Whore: The Absent and Saint Laurent


The Absent 0/10

This is something I never thought I would do even when I wanted to. Today during the AFI film festival Koko and I saw this movie called The Absent. Actually, we watched a series of clips of an old man and a younger version of himself cooking, staring at stuff, stuff staring back, and lots of shots of nothing. Just...nothing. She and many others in the theater fell asleep. 


I refuse to pretend that this is a movie and that I don't “get it.” This is not a movie. Koko mentioned that it is a pretty film as well as reviews of it. I'm not gonna be guilted or tricked into liking this bullshit. Boo this film! I loved the audiences reaction when it ended. There was a collective “What...?!” Oh, and the scene where he was cooking and this loud music starts playing for absolutely no reason. None! We fought to keep our laughter in. Still, I would not recommend anyone see this.


Saint Laurent 8/10

This was an awesome movie and the fifth based on the guy. I knew nothing about Yves Saint Laurent before this movie but I now know that he was gay, revolutionized clothing for women, and was batshit crazy. Saint Laurent stars Gaspard Ulliel as Yves and he is so damned good I'm sure he is gonna start popping up in even more films. 


The movie goes back and forth between the height of his fame, his later years, and even touches on his youth. He speaks of his time in a hospital where he was drugged till he was addicted and given electroshock therapy.


Watching him deal with his drug addictions, alcoholism, past, fear of being boring, and his creativity was something to behold. This is a very adult movie. It is two and a half hours long, has nudity, and so much man penis. There is gonna be a lot of talk about this very soon so see it when you can.

Click here for previous Theater Whore.

No comments: