Tuesday, May 5, 2020

The Review: Dave Season 1



Dave 9/10

Full of spoilers. This show was nothing like I thought it was gonna be based on the posters or commercials. I thought it was about a dude named Dave that had a talking dick. I seriously thought that was what this entire show was about. I was wrong. I was very wrong. This is about an aspiring rapper named Dave Burd and his relationships with his friends and girlfriend. For those that do not know dude can actually rap. Like, really good. He meets up with his friend GaTa and wants to hook up with the rapper YG. Dave end sup getting $10,000 from his parents and uses it to get on one of his songs. He thinks things move quickly and gets suspicious when he can't contact YG's people and suspects his friend GaTa. It is such an embarrassing scene when he does this in front of GaTa's mother at her own home.


That is one thing about this show. There were so many scenes that made me cringe. At times I agreed with Dave 100% but others times I was like “Dude, you're being an asshole!” He ends up getting asked to perform at the funeral of a kid that died at his girlfriends school. Her name is Ally and she is a teacher. She is perfect in her role by the way. They seem like they are for reals dating. He stresses about this being his first performance. Upset that he would be asked to do this. After all his prep and waiting at the very last second Macklemore shows up and performs instead. He is compared to every White rapper so this one stung extra. Again. Need to point out how good Ally is. Early on she proves to be a great combination of patient and supportive.


Dave has issues with his penis. He has been dating Ally for a while but she has never seen his dick. He plans everything out controlling positions and the lighting in the room. Something happened when he was born and they had to do some mixing and matching and now he has two peeholes and it looks like a mess. One day at the studio Ally hears him rapping about eating ass and she asks him to try it later and he does not want to. He pretends to be something he is not in bed and she orgasms hard while he feels like shit. He grabs his half woman sex doll and it is discovered by Ally who is upset that he can have sex with it and not talk to her.


There is an episode that touches on GaTa and the fact that has bipolar disorder. The episode was one of my favorites. Not just because it was so unexpected but because of the way it was portrayed. GaTa also happens to be bipolar in real life. He is hired as Dave's hype man and they show various instances of him being too hype, angry, and not able to stay awake. He finally tells Dave, Mike, and Elz that he is bipolar and taking medication for it. In another episode Elz points out that all of Dave's old friends from camp are assholes that use him to make fun of him. That episode was rough because as I watched what he did I thought “I was that kid.” Not doing the things he did to get a laugh like pissing myself but belittling myself to make others laugh.


This series touches on so many different topics that made me think a lot and not binge this. I watched three episodes in one day and realized that I was not absorbing enough of the show. It made me laugh out loud every episode. It made me think. Cringe. There was also good music. As Dave gets closer to having his dreams come true he gets progressively worse to everyone around him. The last three episodes were the roughest ones to watch. Not because they were bad. Not that at all. But because watching the way Dave behaved got so bad I figured that by the end he would have zero friends. I am super down for another season of this show. It flies by. Each episode is half an hour or less and there are ten of them. I actually wish I had watched it a little slower. Everyone was tailor made for their roles. The dialogue. The music. The acting. Everything about this show was good. Don't be like me thinking you know what this is about before watching. It was so much more.

Lil Dicky as Dave Burd
Taylor Misiak as Ally
GaTa as himself
Andrew Santino as Mike
Travis “Taco” Bennett as Elliot “Elz”
Christine Ko as Emma

Click here for previous The Review.

No comments: