Saturday, November 3, 2012

Insert Coin: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles


“This was the first Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles video game, and is based on the 1987 TV series, which was in its third season at the time of the game's original release, although the art style more resembles the original comic series. The game was ported to various home computer platforms in 1990.” 


Back when I was around 10 I was all about the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I watched the cartoon, I had the toys, and you better believe I played the videos games. At the arcade you could play as either Michelangelo, Raphael, Donatello, or Leonardo. I always picked Raphael because he was the coolest one. Oh, you don’t think so? Who’s better? Yeah. That’s what I thought. No one. The best thing about this was that you could play with all four of the turtles at the same time!

These four creatures come to save you the window becomes the safest option.

This came out the same year as NES released theirs. Now, I was excited as all get out to play this at home after I borrowed it from someone because my mother wasn’t even trying to buy me this shit for myself. Popped the game in and was kind of surprised at the graphics. Not in a good way.

Um...

Okay. I get it. The graphics cant be as cool as the arcade’s. That’s fine. I just want to save Master Splinter, April O’Neil, eat pizza, and stick my green fist up Shredder’s ass. You too?! Awesome! Let’s do this! Oh, I’m way too excited right now! I’m gonna kick some…what the fuck?!

Just what TMNT was missing. Maps!

What bucket of ass is this? Oh, okay. This is just a map to get to different levels. What a raggedy ass map. I mean, uh, wow, this looks just like New York City. Amazing. I wonder when I’ll get to start kicking ass. So I stumble around warehouses and shit until I head into a place by foot or van.

The same sewers they live in will now kill them dozens of times.

What sucks is that as soon as you start playing you wish you hadn’t. In the arcade and subsequent “sequel” which was just a home version of the arcade you are a few inches tall. In this slice of dick cake you’re less than an inch tall. My Raphael uses his sais but they’re barely visible and he tosses them back into his pockets or something until you use them again. Then there’s the goddamn underwater levels. Oh, what cruel god decided to invent this?!

This level took years off of my life.

You die constantly in this game. Constantly. Even as a kid I knew that this was way too hard for a human to be playing. I still have this game and played it a few months back and got my ass whomped. Its not like I popped it in with a brand new adult knowledge of video games and mastered this Fred Savage style. I still cursed before turning it off and playing Castlevania before realizing I still suck at that as well. Nintendo games were and still are hard as fuck!

Good luck even getting this far.

Click here for previous Insert Coin.

2 comments:

KJ said...

It's all about Turtles In Time, dude. That game rocked.

Dante said...

I don't think I ever played this one. I know on one new TMNT game that you could unlock the old arcade version of the original turtles game. I'm looking at videos of this "...In Time" game and it looks fun! Now I am getting confused because it looks like the other one.