Saturday, February 9, 2013

Insert Coin: Sunset Riders



The game, which is set in a fanciful version of the American Old West, revolves around four bounty hunters who are out to claim rewards given for eliminating the most wanted outlaws in the West. At the beginning of each stage the player is shown a wanted poster, showing the criminal, the reward for stopping them, and the line “Wanted dead or alive.”


One of the best arcade games when I was younger was Sunset Riders. There was the cool ass arcade version and the one for Super Nintendo. Its about four cowboys trying to clean up the Old West by shooting anything that doesn’t wear the vibrant colors that they do. Though there are four guys with such badass names like Steve, Billy, and Bob, there’s….wait. Bob? Really? Bob? “Oh, shit! Everybody run! Bob’s here! You know Bob don‘t play that shit! Steve‘s here, too?! Start prayin‘!” Anyhoot, the coolest one by far was the world’s most dangerous Mexican, Cormano. This mofo had two shotguns!

And wore pink because fuck hiding.

Though you could use two or four players I had more fun when I played along. Its like masturbating. More than one person and things get weird and complicated. The reason its harder with more people, the game not my penis, is that the bullets are the size of baseballs. When Cormano fires his double barrels the screen looks like a damned rave.

Oh, I cant be mad at you, Cormano!

The bosses range from not that hard to “I’m about to spend all the change in my pocket to kill this guy!“ This game will also make you scared of bulls. Its like for some reason back in the day you’d be walking down the street and suddenly a damned stampede of bulls will come out of nowhere! And the worst part is that you cant kill them. You can unload on them and they just keep on charging. Fuck these things. Who is even letting these things loose?!

I regret nothing...but this!

The SNES is a very underrated gaming console. Lots of people talk about Genesis and skip right to N64 without acknowledging the amount of cool games SNES had. There’s this one game, Secret Of Mana, that me and a friend spent an entire weekend playing and cheered when we finished. That game was a monster. So’s this. I’ve never beaten Sunset Riders. Ever.

I imagine this is one of the later levels. 

Click here for previous Insert Coin.

3 comments:

KJ Gould said...

One of my favourite games, only I had the Genesis version. Only Billy and Carmano were playable characters, and there was none of the frantic sprinting on the bulls like in the arcade version.

Wasn't the Neo Geo a super expensive console that you could play arcade cartridges on?

KJ Gould said...

Loved this game as a kid, but on Genesis. I had a longer comment, but blogger wiped it twice ... the cunt.

Dante said...

Whenever I comment on folks blogs I make sure to copy it now since Blogger loves erasing shit. Yes, Neo-Geo was way expensive and I only knew one guy that had it. There was a card that you could insert into arcade games and finish at home. Once you were done you couldn't keep playing though. The graphics were incredible but the system got super hot!