Monday, February 4, 2013

Theater Whore: A Haunted House



“Hey, is that a mandingo party?!” That is one of a dozen or so times I busted up laughing watching A Haunted House starring Marlon Wayans and Essence Atkins. Now going in I knew this movie was gonna be silly as hell. This is not a part of the Scary Movie franchise since the Wayans’ haven’t been associated with those in years. I was just hoping to see something that made me laugh a few times and this did it. My sense of humor is inconsistent at best but a good fart joke will make me laugh like an idiot. And I never thought I’d laugh as hard as I did with seeing a grown man getting it doggy style from a ghost. By the way, lots of man ass in this movie. Too much man ass.


Malcolm has his girlfriend Keisha move in with him and before she even gets out of her car with her stuff she runs his dog over. She hates all his furniture, and the maid that doesn’t speak English keeps popping up out of nowhere scaring the shit out of people. Malcolm films everything and after doors start slamming and they hear moans and screams they hire a security team to put cameras all over the house that can be accessed online.

They bring a priest, psychic, ghost busters, and gang members to stop the ghost but nothing works until they end up jumping it as it possesses his girlfriend. They for real jump it/her. Elbow drops and chair shots. It turns out that Keisha has been friends with a ghost since she was little and sold her soul to the devil for some shoes years ago.


This movie is not for everyone. No movie is. But there are funny parts. Rent it when it comes out. Financially it is successful costing $2 million and making $42 million in the three weeks its been out. Scenes that made me laugh like an idiot were the ghost having sex with the girlfriend, the boyfriend getting raped, a living room falling on a thug, the priest almost stumbling into a mandingo sex party, and the ghost getting pissed off when they make fun of it after it uses the Ouija board and spells ghost wrong. Malcolm pointing out that Black people run in scary movies while White people investigate made me laugh as well. I know folks are reading that this is funny and rolling their eyes. You know what? Don’t see it. Go watch New Girl.

No comments: