Friday, September 19, 2014

Demand It!: I Know That Voice


I Know That Voice

I watched this documentary called I Know That Voice on Amazon a couple of days ago. This had been floating in the back of my head ever since Andrew Kishino (himself a very accomplished voice over artist) had mentioned it a while back. I'm so glad that I watched this because it taught me a lot about voice over work as well as pointed out that it's not as easy as just being able to do an impression of a character for your friends and family.


They of course cover the history of voices in animation including the king himself, Mel Blanc. It is incredible how many voices he was able to do like Bugs Bunny, Wile E. Coyote (my favorite cartoon character of all time), Porky Pig, and Daffy Duck just to name very few. Mark Hamill who is best known as the voice of the Joker from multiple animated Batman films is interviewed as well as those who have followed him.


Tara Strong, who I had no idea was so damned hot (I hate when people bring up a lady's looks but damn it I can't help it this time) and did so many damned voices (Batman, Teen Titans, Rugrats, Powerpuff Girls), shows up and it is so weird to actually watch her, as well as many of these people, do the voices. I look at them and see one thing and suddenly they sound like a toddler.


Lastly, I have to mention the lovely and talented John DiMaggio. He is one of the funniest ones in this. I have seen interviews with him a few times and watched panels where he did his most well known voice, Bender from Futurama. He shows a few tips when speaking into a microphone like one using a pencil that I have now tried when recording my shows. It works. Video game voice overs are also talked about which, of course, is a huge thing now. There are far too many people in this to list but I suggest that you really watch it. You may learn something.

Click here for previous Demand It!

No comments: