Monday, March 3, 2014

"Bad Mamma Jamma": Cate Blanchett


A while ago I was getting pictures ready trying to figure out who was going to be the next Bad Mamma Jamma. I've mentioned before that it has gotten more difficult to do because women will usually just be used for jewelry to a guy in a movie or TV show. Its hard to find a woman that fits all the criteria for a BMJ. But a few months back I found one and am just now writing about her. This weeks BMJ is Cate Blanchett.


Born in Australia to an Australian mother and Texan father she described herself as being part extrovert part wallflower as a child. I don't even know how that is possible with a mother born in the scariest country on Earth and a father from the now second scariest state in America. One would assume she runs around at 10 all the time. She studied fine arts and economics before saying “Fuck it” and traveling.


I first really took notice of her in The Gift. If you have not seen that movie, please see it. Its pretty damned intense. Later she showed up in Lord Of The Rings as Galadriel. I was like who is this magical woman in this movie that appears as if she has powers in real life? She later appeared in Babel, The Aviator, The Life Aquatic, Hot Fuzz, and Hanna where she plays an evil ass woman and I finally stopped mistaking her for Tilda Swinton.


Just last night she won an Oscar for her role in Blue Jasmine which I cheered for. Her performance was just incredible. She has nine more movies coming out in the next year alone which is awesome. So are her thoughts about plastic surgery. 


“I see someone's face, someone's body who'd had children and I think they're the song lines of your experience, and why would you want to eradicate that? I look at people sort of entombing themselves and all you see is their little pin holes of terror...and you think, just live your life, death is not going to be any easier just because your face can't move.”

Click here for previous Bad Mamma Jamma

No comments: