Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Theater Whore: Lincoln


I do not know history. Its not that I hated it or anything, I just wasn’t taught it properly We glanced past Columbus, breezed through slavery, and always managed to end around Prohibition. So whatever you can tell me about history, even if you said that dragons once roamed Montana, I’d probably believe you. So as I sat and watched the movie Lincoln most of what was being shown and said was new to me.


I spoke with Cam after watching the movie together and decided that this movie was a perfect example of why I needed to start doing my reviews differently. I tend to recap and entire damned film and attempt to not spoil the ending. Well, this stuff already happened and hopefully anyone reading this knows that slaves are free. Just in case you didn’t know allow me to state that us Blacks are free and the first thing we want are your women! I should probably talk about the movie before I get my ass returned to Africa.


This is about Abraham Lincoln being a good president. The end. But seriously, he really was. I mean, I’m just taking this movie as the truth since I’ve never met the man. He is played by Daniel Day-Lewis who should win the award for everything including Supporting Actress. Speaking of which, the only woman (besides the help) that was really in this was Sally Field who played his wife Mary. She was…okay. I wasn’t blown away by her performance and she seemed oldish for the part. Their oldest son was played by Joseph Gordon-Levitt who I had no idea was even in this movie. That guy has been in everything this year!

Including our hearts...

Speaking of which, there were so many other actors in this movie I won’t even attempt to name them all. But I will say that Tommy Lee Jones acted his ass off in this! I mean, he was really good. Also in the movie that made me go “I know him!“ was Dane DeHaan from Chronicle and Lawless and David Oyelowo from Jack Reacher. Every scene had someone show up that was familiar but not distractingly so. James Spader, John Hawkes, and Tim Blake Nelson were awesome and funny together. Thankfully the director, Steven Spielberg, didn’t overdo it with the music. There were moments I felt building and waited for him to pump in the horns and cue the audience when to feel inspired and he didn’t do that which was much appreciated. See, Tarantino, that’s how you use music in a film.


There are a lot of films out right now as it is award season. There are some getting attention I have no intention of seeing even though they are winning big so far. If you get the chance to see this, do it. I checked online and it’s gonna be on video in a few months. I suggest seeing it in theaters though. There are scenes like when Lincoln visit’s the battlefield where you just go “Whoa…” Day-Lewis in his portrayal makes you believe that he is actually Lincoln in his magical ass way.

No comments: