Friday, December 5, 2014

Theater Whore: The Skeleton Twins


The Skeleton Twins 7/10

I checked this movie The Skeleton Twins out without any really strange need to. Bill Hader and Kristen Wiig are two of my favorite people from SNL but for some reason the trailers for this never made me really want to see this. And I regret not seeing this sooner because this was a good film. It is heavier than I was expecting it to be but each of them were able to to pull it far better than I was giving them credit for.


This is the story of twins that have not spoken in ten year to one another. Milo (Hader) is at home blasting music, writing a very short note, and sits in a bathtub and slits his wrists. Meanwhile his sister Maggie (Wiig) I staring at a handful of pills while standing in the shower ready to kill herself. Her phone rings and its a hospital telling her that Milo tried to kill himself. She heads to visit him and he's not exactly happy to see her. She asks him to come stay with her for a while.


Milo meets Maggie's husband Lance played by Luke Wilson. He is a really nice and fun guy but for some reason Maggie can not stop cheating on him. She takes up new hobbies and sleeps with instructors and can not figure out why. She secretly takes birth control so she doesn't have a kid with Lance. Milo gets in touch with some people from his past which turns out to be a terrible idea. He finds the teacher played by Ty Burrell that molested him in school who now has a son and girlfriend.


This was a good movie and I would have given it a higher score if there weren't some parts that felt a bit too formulaic. I get that Milo was gay but they made him super gay. He hit every gay stereotype while when those moments weren't around he came across as more realistic. Maggie bothered me because she never seemed to learn any lessons. The ending is ambiguous and I'm not sure if it was real or not. If it was real and I knew 100% it was real my score would drop a few more points. Check this out if you get the chance.

Click here for previous Theater Whore

No comments: