Sunday, May 20, 2012

Kristen Wiig Leaves SNL


As if I needed another reason to stop watching Saturday Night Live, Kristen Wiig has left the show. I had no idea this was her last season on the show. I watched it last night but tuned out to continue reading The Immortal Life Of Henrietta Lacks. Great book so far. The host/musical guest was Mick Jagger. The show was close to okay but nothing to talk about the next day.

That is until I saw online that this was Wiig’s last episode. Knowing that it was her last episode she should’ve had all her best characters return. In the past seven years that she has been on the show she has been the star. So many people have come and gone with no fanfare that the fact that they let her leave on such a whimper is shameful.

I shouldn’t be too surprised that she is leaving. It seems that people use SNL as a springboard to bigger things. No one can deny how huge Bridesmaids was. Even Andy Sandberg is doing bigger movies and will likely leave by next year. But seeing as how the past few years have done little to nothing to improve the level of funny on a show where its supposed to be the top of the food chain in terms of humor on television I’m pretty damn sure I won’t even bother to watch the show anymore.


I’ve discussed on my podcast and with friends how I feel about women and humor. I have some female friends that can make me laugh but its hard for me to find female comedians funny. People start naming the ones that are big at the moment and I know who they are and have seen their stuff and it never even gets a chuckle out of me. Kristen Wiig made me laugh a lot and I’ll miss seeing her on Saturday nights.

No comments: