Monday, May 28, 2012

TV Slut: Mythbusters


I’ve been watching a bunch of Mythbusters lately. I used to watch this show every week including the reruns and it tickled the part of my brain that used to be very smart. They take myths ranging from the nonsense you hear and read about on the internet to old myths such as weapons that supposedly existed thousands of years ago and they rebuild them…and sometimes things explode.

Some of my favorite episodes have involved movie myths such as Jaws, Mission Impossible, and James Bond. By the way, if you’re hoping to blow up a shark by tossing an oxygen tank into its mouth and then shooting it with a rifle think again. You’ll just ruin your pants. They’ve also done superhero themed myths that have done nothing to discourage me from wanting to punch people with a skull shaped ring. That. Will. Happen.


The main cast consists of Jamie Hyneman who is pretty straight forward and doesn’t fuck around. He seems happiest when he is shooting weapons and blowing things up. And he always has a beret on. Oh, and he’s known for being the only person to be eliminated from that show Battlebots for having a robot that was too dangerous. Adam Savage jokes around a lot and is behaves pretty much like how I would if I were in his position. Grant Imahara is the robotics expert whose eyebrows make me wish I were more expressive. Tory Belleci is a great builder and very smart. Then there’s Kari Byron.


She is what that girl you stare at because she’s hot and nerdy but real. She isn’t playing the character of a smart person. She isn’t pretending to be creative. She just is. And she’s hot. My god she’s hot.


As much as I love science and all that good stuff seeing her on the show is awesome…for my pants. I’m kidding. But I’m not. At all. Check out this quote from her. “I do portraits or I make sculptures exploring my cynical view of contemporary issues. Artists that over-explain their art always take away from my experience as a viewer. I try to let my viewer make their own message. Art becomes more personal if you let yourself become involved. I will always explain my motivations and themes if someone asks but I prefer to hear theirs.


Has she blown your mind yet? Whatever. Just watch the show. You might learn something.

No comments: