Thursday, April 5, 2018

Casting Slouch: Rebooting X-Men Franchise Part 2




In my continuing search and one man mission to cast the next X-Men movie here are some more names that I have come up with to play in the movie. This is harder than I thought it'd be since I am trying to avoid people from previous X films and people who have prominently been in other superhero films. Like Halle Berry as Storm/Catwoman and Chris Evans as Captain America/Human Torch. You'd swear there were only twenty people that acted the way some films are cast.

Jesse Plemons as Beast. I need this to be a thing. Though I only know him from Black Mass and an episode of Black Mirror I like this guy. Yeah, I know he has been in plenty of other things but these two are the only ones I need as proof that he can play Beast aka Hank McCoy. He is only 30 years old right now so he fits into the age range I am looking for. And for anyone wondering about the blue fur and the amount of time in makeup needed...don't. This will be the old school version of Beast where he just has the big hands and feet and is super agile. The problem with the other films is that they could not wait to show you the fur version and skipped past the mutated version. 

In the later films Beast has the ability to go back and forth between being furry or not which is totally stupid and makes him being on the team kinda strange. “Oh, you can look normal when you feel like it? You poor creature, you...” I think Plemons would have the ability to pull off the look and behavior of Beast until way later in the series he gets the fur and when he does I will make him hate it because now I am magically writing the script. While I'm at it, I want him wearing big ass gloves and snow shoes in a terrible attempt to hide his mutantcy. Is that a word? No. It is not. It is now. 

Domhnall Gleeson as Professor X. This guy is good. I've seen him in Brooklyn, Ex Machina, as well as Frank and in each loved him. This guy is just an incredible actor. He was also in one of my favorite episodes of Black Mirror. He is currently 34 years old which is what I need for this because I do not want The Professor to be as young as the rest of his students because that shit is weird. 

This version of Charles Xavier is bald from the start. In the latest films he had hair and lost it for dumb reasons. No. He loses it early in life which does not help with his self esteem and on top of that his psychic powers that he can not control yet make him even more ostracized. I also want to include his step-brother The Juggernaut but have not cast him yet. Holy crap, these movies really shit the bed not having that whole dynamic going on. And I want him in the wheelchair from the start. I don't even remember how it happened but I do not want dude ever not in his wheelchair. I want as many obstacles as possible in his life to make him want to fight so strongly for equal rights for mutants. And absolutely no Mystique. That shit is so stupid how they handled it in film.

Bill Skarsgård as Magneto. Bill (I can not spell his last name over and over) is scary as hell. I only remember him from It and do not recall him in Atomic Blonde. He is currently 27 years old but I can make this shit work with some white hair. 

This will not be an old Magneto where the Holocaust was almost a hundred years ago. I want this shit fresh in his memory (which is why the movie has to be in the 60's which makes a whole new set of issues for characters like Storm) and I want him mad. Not the cool mad that movies do now where the villain is so cool that you like him. That has been the issue in all incarcerations of him in the movies. Xavier and Magneto's relationship is always described as Martin Luther King and Malcolm. Fuck that. I want this to be some Gandhi versus Hitler shit. I want Magneto to have become what he hated the most. And he will never lift an entire building, stadium, or bridge. That shit is dumb and done just for show. He basic power is amazing enough and can be far more subtle. Decades later people still remember Darth Vader using a Force Choke and that was just dude lifting his hand and aiming it at another ones throat from across the room. Magneto can fuck up your iron levels in your blood and make you faint. He can impale you with your own zipper. In the films his best scene is when he is pulling a fence from a distance as he is being dragged away from his family, not the stadium moving shit. I want him loner as fuck and liking it for a long time until he absolutely has to form the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants. As for the helmet, yeah, we bringing the helmet. We have to.

No comments: