Friday, March 2, 2012

TV Slut: Luther


There’s a show that comes on BBC that is great. No, not Being Human, because that show wrecked itself in season four. This show is now in its second season and its called Luther. It stars Idris Elba as Detective Chief Inspector John Luther. Luther has what some would call “anger management issues.” I call it “What everyone wants to do at least five times a day but cant because jail sucks!

How everyone feels about IKEA furniture.

The show starts off with Luther getting a confession from a guy that is dangling. Luther lets him drop to his apparent death. The guy ends up in a coma that Luther hopes he never wakes from since he knows that Luther pretty much left him to die. Mix in some crazy broad that killed her parents and the dog and gets away with it and you have yourself a recipe for disaster!

Now, this show takes a simple premise like “good cop doing bad” sort of like Dexter but makes it very compelling. Every scene you see with Luther makes you wonder “Is he about to blow his top now? How about now? Now?!” Because when he does its fucking insane. His estranged wife cant deal with his temper and no environment is safe from it. Not even his job.

Moments away from wrecking shit.

I mention his wife because she is very important to this show and gives you glimpses into the type of person that Luther is. When your wife is so afraid of you that she meets you at work because she assumes you wont go nuts you know its bad. The wife ends up at the business end up a sharp object courtesy of the crazy family murdering chick I mentioned. Oh, let me tell you about her!

Fear is an aphrodisiac for his wife.

This chick, Alice, is very smart and super crazy. Luther knows that she killed her family. He goes to her house, stealing evidence to prove it but of course that makes it inadmissible. Gotta know your law, kids. Alice likes Luther because she sees him as like her. She threatens to kill his wife at one point and even has the wife’s new boyfriend assaulted.

She is about eight flavors of crazy.

Alice isn’t the run of the mill “Ooh, I’m crazy and sexy” character. She is actually intelligent and there is not really any sexual tension between the two even when there’s supposed to be. Or better yet when you assume there should be. Yes, she is cute as hell but Luther is still like “You are a murderer and I don’t want you near me or my wife.” But he still has uses for her.

"Do you know who the fuck I am? You must not know who the fuck I am."

I wont spoil more of the first season. There are only six episodes and each one has a purpose. I was talking recently to my friend about how having such short seasons makes it hard to be like “Well, we got 12 episodes so about 3 of them can be about nothing really.” The last two episodes are super intense by the way. The last one had me cringing waiting to see how it was going to turn out. I kept screaming at my screen “Just tell someone! Why doesn’t anyone share anymore?!

No comments: