Thursday, April 23, 2015

Fictional Character Shaming


Jeremy Renner and Chris Evans who are in the upcoming Avengers: Age Of Ultron movie are in hot shit after making a comment about a woman. When asked about a potential relationship between the two actors and this woman Renner said “She's a slut. a complete whore.” Then he followed that up with saying that “she has a prosthetic leg anyway” which caused Evans to laugh even harder saying “I was gonna say something along that line!”

No woman should be made fun of in this manner by two men that are famous Hollywood actors and making a lot of money starring in blockbuster films...if she is real. They are talking about a fictional character Black Widow played by Scarlett Johansson.


And she is not real.

Evans issued an apology saying “Yesterday we were asked about the rumors that Black Widow wanted to be in a relationship with both Hawkeye and Captain America. We answered in a very juvenile and offensive way that rightfully angered some fans. I regret it and sincerely apologize.” Renner said “I am sorry that this tasteless joke about a fictional character offended anyone. It was not meant to be serious in any way. Just poking fun during an exhausting and tedious press tour.”

Read between the lines and he is telling you sensitive assholes to stop being sensitive assholes about a character that is not real. Are you mad because it was said about a woman? Are they slut shaming?! You should check out my guide to learning how to not shame people (click here for that). 

I'm sure most of the people upset think its an attack on women, ScarJo, or a comic book character they really don't know anything about. Its like getting upset that Sam treated Golum like shit in Lord of the Rings. There is a scene in Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back where Ben Affleck's character mocks them for getting upset at what is said about their comic book counterparts.


She is a former KGB assassin that was brainwashed, led teams, killed folks, and dated some characters like Red Guardian, Iron Man, Hawkeye, Daredevil, Hercules, wanted Captain America, and Winter Soldier. She is called the Black Widow for a reason. She is a deadly ass female that used to have black hair.

And she isn't real.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't get emotional when watching movies. That is the whole point. I love when I get so wrapped up in watching something that I forget that I am in a theater with popcorn stuck in my teeth, someone checking their phone two rows in front of me, and hoping that my friend remembers to validate parking. But I don't get upset about real people making fun of a fake one as if she is a real one. Am I making any sense? 

The fucked up part is that ScarJo can't win in this situation. If she defends them she is supporting shame culture. Not everything is a culture, idiots. If she stays silent some will say it is because she was told to. Hopefully she doesn't because this is a dumb ass argument and I wrote this just to use a picture of her in a tight black outfit. Am I now hot shaming? 

No comments: