Sunday, March 1, 2015

You Had One Job: Aquaman Movie

The image for Jason Momoa as the new Aquaman was released and women loved it and guys were confused. I can be upset about the fact that Momoa looks absolutely nothing like Aquaman and more like Conan the Barbarian or Drogo from Game of Thrones

When I first heard that he was playing Aquaman what bothered me most is the fact that I do not enjoy him as an actor unless he is growling at things. I watched his movie Wolves and it was just terrible. Just terrible. And in that he growled at things and shouted a lot. That movie made less than $40,000 opening weekend and even that was more than I thought that film deserved to make. If you ever come across it on cable you will not even laugh at how bad it is. It's just regular bad. 

Momoa quelled some of my fears during a recent interview were he said “It's Batman and Superman. It's not my movie. It's the first time in history to have them both on the screen together, and I'm just excited to see those two up there. Justice League is still quite a ways away. But I'm looking forward to it. Henry's a sweetheart, Ben is a badass, so I'm really looking forward to when we all shoot Justice League.”

Aquaman was actually a short lived series on CW years ago. If it aired now I am sure it would do much better but in 2006 no one had time for anything that wasn't called Smallville. It starred Jason Hartley as Arthur Curry and while it bombed on television it became one of the most downloaded series on iTunes. 

I like the look of this guy and his outfit. It isn't the scaley one from the comics and it isn't the dirtbomb half homeless looking one like Momoa's. Wetsuit, knife, White guy. Done. Today they would go further and make his outfit closer to The Flash or Arrow in style. If we weren't told that Momoa was playing Aquaman we would think it were a sequel to one of his other movies. You would not look at him and know who he was supposed to be.

I thought it was bad to add Batman to the new Man of Steel movie then they slapped in Wonder Woman, and now even more. There is no time being given to establishing Superman in his own universe which is really weird on the part of DC. I'd wanted to see a Justice League film for years but the more I learn about this upcoming one the less I care about it.

Click here for previous You Had One Job.

No comments: