Sunday, April 7, 2013

Theater Whore: Olympus Has Fallen


Its officially the start of summer blockbuster movies where shit explodes and people get shot and I make strange faces because I’m too excited which is why I prefer hitting it from the back! I’m full of shame! Hello. I have been dying to see a damned movie for over a month now that the Academy Awards are done and most movie makers are like “I don’t give a fuck just put something out there.” I saw Olympus Has Fallen after laughing at how cheesy it was. Then I saw that Antoine Fuqua did it and he did Training Day, Tears Of The Sun, King Arthur, and Brooklyn’s Finest and I loved those movies. 


This stars Gerard Butler as Mike Banning, a former Army Ranger that is the head of President Detail. Its his job to protect the President Benjamin Asher played by Aaron Eckhart and the First Lady played by Ashley Judd and their kid who is thankfully not used as a huge plot device in this movie. One night while heading to a dinner the president’s car goes over a bridge and Banning is able to save him but not the First Lady and she dies. He is removed from the detail and now works for the Treasury Department. He also ignores his wife a lot. 


One day all of a sudden DC and The White House get fucked by a plane that is prepared for everything that the armed forces has for them. They end up overpowering every agent and holds the President and his staff hostage. It is run by Rick Yune portraying Kang Yeonsak who is a total asshole and will not hesitate to punch a woman in the stomach Double Dragon style. He wants to shoot all of the US nuclear missiles fired and have troops withdraw from Korea. Meanwhile Banning is all like “Fuck this I need to kill something!”


Angela Bassett tells Morgan Freeman that he is now president and he’s all “Oh, not this again…” Banning finds a way to contact everyone and rescues the President’s son and I was like “Oh, good. Now kill more things!” Kang is not a villain that bluffs. He kills hostages. He bitch slaps people. And when people get shot in the face you see them shot in the face!


Banning is pretty much killing his way through the White House. He is shooting people. Choking them out. Stabbing guys up through their chin. He does that and it stops some bad guys from laughing real quick. He gives a threat to Kang that ends up coming true. It was pretty bad ass if I do say so myself. 


This movie was just what I needed. Just an action packed movie that doesn’t toss a ton of impossible stuff in your face the way Taken 2 did. I wish Gerard Butler would stop doing romantic comedies and stick with punching people in the faces. Or shooting them. Either or. 

Click here for previous Theater Whore.

No comments: