Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Theater Whore: Red 2


I was reading my first review of Red that I wrote after first seeing it and it doesn’t sound like I was all that excited about it. Since then I own the movie (an awesome gift) and watch it every month or so because its just a damned fun movie. When I was told there was gonna be a Red 2 I lost my mind because I imagined how fun it would be to see. I wasn’t disappointed. This is just as fun as the first movie. The cast all return except for Morgan Freeman because, well, you know.


Bruce Willis as Frank Moses is trying to live a non-violent life with his lady Sarah played by Mary-Louise Parker. John Malkovich’s Marvin (who is blown up) lets him know that the reason she is with Frank is because of all the excitement he brings in her life and being nice and quiet is not what she wants. After Marvin’s funeral Frank is taken to be interrogated and escapes with Marvin’s help who of course isn’t dead. The escape is fucking awesome by the way. The guy hunting them down is named Jack Horton and he is played by this actor Neal McDonough who is a dick in every movie he is in. He is playing Karl Urban’s role from the first movie but seems way too unhinged to be as high up in the government as he is.


They find out that there’s this weapon called Nightshade that is being brought into Russia and they need to find out where it is since they are being blamed as being a part of it. Helen Mirren shows up again and lets Frank, Marvin, and Sarah know that she has been contracted to kill them. There’s also this guy called Han that is played by Lee Byung-hun who is fucking awesome. When he fights its crazy how fast he moves. 


In France they meet up with Katya played by Catherine Zeta-Jones who used to be with Frank back in the day. They end up meeting this guy called The Frog which leads to a very crazy shoot out and car chase. All Sarah had to do was follow one simple  instruction and when she didn’t all hell broke loose. 


Anthony Hopkins is in here as a physicist who was involved in the Nightshade project but he is nutty as hell from being locked in an asylum for the past 30 years. There was something very important involving him that was ruined for me before I saw this movie that I didn’t even think about until he popped up on the screen. 


This was directed by the same guy that did Galaxy Quest which I really liked. The guy who directed the first Red did that lame ass R.I.P.D that I have just seen. If you like the first movie you will like this one too. 

Click here for previous Theater Whore.

No comments: