Saturday, October 4, 2014

Theater Whore: The Equalizer


The Equalizer 8/10

This movie is a hard rated R! Just gotta put that out there. Oh, and some spoilers. I wasn't exactly dying to see this movie. I knew that the old series was called The Equalizer and my Grandmama watched it along with a bunch of other shows about old people killing murderers or looking to solve them. So going in all I knew was that Denzel Washington was in it and it was directed by the guy that did Training Day which is one of my favorite movies. So fuck it. I wanted to see what would happen.


This is a damned good movie. It helped fill that straight up action movie void that has been missing this summer. There has been a lot of action movies the last few months that had lots of explosions but didn't quite deliver. This movie did. Denzel plays Robert “Bob” McCall who is a retired guy from black ops. This story takes place in Boston where his life is very plain. He works at a huge hardware store and goes home and to a nearby diner where he keeps things simple to the point of being OCD.


He meets a hooker named Teri played by ChloĆ« Grace Moretz. They chat in the diner when she isn't boning rich, abusive old men. One day she gets beat all to hell. Robert ends up confronting the guys that “own” her and does some Batman/ninja shit and takes them out. This is just the start of a ton of detective work and crazy, extreme violence.


You may wonder why the cops haven't caught him yet. Well, most of them are dirty as hell. The last twenty minutes or so are super intense and so fun to watch. My only complaint is the use of slow motion at times. It doesn't happen during fight scenes which made me happy but there are some camera effect issues that made me smack my lips. Either way, this is one of the best action films of the summer. Check it out.

Click here for previous Theater Whore

No comments: